Thursday 10 December 2015

Bacon Fetta and Tomato Tart Tatin



a delicious savoury tart tatin


I have been known to complain (quietly) about grilled tomatoes on my plate; for instance when eating out for breakfast.  Some readers may be aware that I am not a fan, so you will be surprised to see a recipe here which has the dreaded tomatoes as a big part of it.

What can I say?  One of my (many) mottoes is: who said you have to be consistent? Lord knows, I can change my mind like a Kardashian changes underwear, or husbands. This recipe (from Delicious magazine April 2015) just sounded so delicious that I had to make it, and tweak it, and yep it is so damn tasty, I licked my plate!  I think Mr P. was a bit shocked to tell the truth.

I used to make tomato tart tatin every so often.  It took a while 'cos you had to bake the tomatoes on low for about 4 hours from memory.   But this one can be knocked up very quickly (no, not that kind of knocked up) and in your hungry gob in a matter of minutes - well yeah, pretty darn fast anyway.

ingredients:

200g. of cherry/grape tomatoes- you know what I mean- baby ones
250g. middle bacon rashers, sliced in half lengthways
salt and pepper to taste
80g. fetta, cubed
80g. fire roasted capsicums (from the jar), chopped
your choice of herbs -  I used chives and parsley, about 1 tbs of each, but you can use your faves; use more or less as you please
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
2 tbs milk for brushing the pastry
2 tbs sesame seeds (optional)

for the sauce/dressing:

1/3 cup (100g.) of good quality egg mayo
1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
zest and juice of half a lime or lemon
1 tsp grain mustard

salad:

1 baby Cos lettuce, chopped
1 tomato, chopped or a handful of cherry tomatoes
50g. of fetta, cubed
125g. cucumber, cubed 


Method:

Slice the tomatoes in half lengthways and squeeze out the seeds
Scatter them on a greased, (with butter) shallow baking tray
Lay the bacon slices over the tomatoes
Season with salt and pepper
Place the tray in a 200C oven for 10-12 minutes
Let it cool for a few minutes
Now add the fetta, capsicum and herbs over the tomato and bacon
Place the pastry over the top and tuck in the edges
Brush the pastry with the milk and scatter the sesame seeds if using
Bake till golden on top - about 20 minutes

Combine the ingredients for the sauce/dressing in a small bowl

Invert the tart so the veggies and bacon are on the top

Serve with the salad and the dressing/sauce on the side

Tips:

Use a shallow baking tray that is roughly the size of the pastry sheet

Grease it with butter not oil as it gives a better result

I couldn't find sesame seeds in my pantry so I threw on some citrus salt flakes.  You could use your favourite salt mix, or other seeds, or nothing at all as it will be turned over for serving



bacon and tomatoes on the go 


ready for the oven  


after the first roasting 


on go the fetta, capsicum and snipped up herbs   


brushing on milk  


baked and golden 



combining the sauce/dressing   


get ready to lick that plate:=)   



oh yeah bacon baby!


14 comments:

  1. Mr Pickings rather enjoyed this repast. Such a simple idea but wow what flavour. It all came together perfectly in colour as well. Very delicious and cannot wait to have it again. It was even better with Sherry's wonderful homemade grain mustard in the sauce, which I put on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely divine! I love tomatoes, although hubby and his brother aren't fans, I think they might both go for this recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious...go bacon! We can get those grape tomatoes even in the off season and they aren't bad baked to concentrate the flavor. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, this wins the Internet. I just love your tart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much maureen. it is damn tasty. :)

      Delete
  5. We love tomatoes here so it's exciting to see so many at the markets nowadays! I've made a tomato tarte tatin but not with bacon. That is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Attack of the dreaded tomatoes! Yummo combination of flavours Sherry. I know a few people who are a bit funny about tomato and have their preferences with how they eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can I say? My sister hates squishy food too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your tart look fantastic. I don't like grilled tomatoes either but I do like them roasted and sprinkled with a bit of caramelised balsamic or vino cotto. And yes, you can never have too much bacon. I love the look of the baked pastry xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. I think bacon is an essential food Group. :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.