Saturday 1 July 2017

In My Kitchen - July 2017

Here we are again dear friends; another IMK post has snuck up on me (and maybe you).  This month has not been kind to us here in the Pickings' household, with ill-health and a death in the family. So I am a bit behind in most things at the moment.  Never fear, I will catch up!  Here is my own IMK post, somewhat rushed but you know how it is sometimes :=)


Here are the options again to add your post:

1. Adding via the link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found at the top of this page, under Add your IMK link
2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it to the linky list below
3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process)



In my kitchen, there are:


Many jars of chutney.  I seem to have made a vatful this time! I used a recipe that calls for a kilo of mangoes, not thinking that the smaller stones in the plums and the lack of stones in the pears would mean that there was actually heaps more fruity pulp than when I make it with mangoes. So I ended up with hmm hmm quite a few jars.  Thank goodness, friends like this too!




seasonal chutney


And here are a few home-grown passionfruits and limes.  NOT grown by me who has the curse of the black thumb.  The limes are superb; so juicy and yes limey.  Thanks, you green-fingered friends.


 
beautiful home-grown fruit



Also there is a beautiful tumbler from Magnolia Mountain.  I have a few of their pieces, and I just keep buying more.  I am so addicted.




a stunning tumbler from their Hanafubuki collection 



A lovely tea-towel from Tasmania, sent by a friend for my birthday. She knows how much I love tea-towels, and garlic.




cute tea-towel


I discovered this fabulous cookbook recently by Alison Uttley.   There will be recipes on the blog at a later date.




fascinating little cookbook


Beautiful birthday flowers from friends are still doing fine in my kitchen.




so pretty and cheering


Okay, not in my kitchen but close by is this tin chicken, a present from my sister.  She knows how I love a good chook.




what a pretty little rooster?!



I love this cup made by our friend Brooke at Red Door Studio.  We have lots of her very colourful pieces, but this is a bit of a change.   I really love this greeny-blue beauty.




a bit of turquoise loveliness for my morning coffee   




At last the olive oil I pre-ordered weeks ago has turned up on my doorstep.  I love this time of year as all the newly-harvested olive oils are bouncing around my kitchen.  So exciting.




fresh, newly-minted olive oil  


It has been a tough month, with highs and lows, but hopefully life is settling down again to normal.  Hope to see you here with an IMK post!



  
    An InLinkz Link-up
   





                   
Sherrys Pickings


42 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry,
    Your mango chutney must be delicious -- your friends are lucky if you give them some! The other new things in your kitchen also look like fun. I'm sorry that you had a difficult month: hope July is better.

    The In My Kitchen idea for me is a chance to look back at what happened each month, so I usually do it on the last day here -- which is the first of the month in Australia. I didn't have anything new in the kitchen so I thought about the history of some of the items I make often or keep on hand most of the time.

    Best ... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Mae for joining in. It is lovely to have you here! cheers!

      Delete
    2. Dear Mae, I cannot comment on your blog posts any more... no capacity for URL or even just name and email. Sorry, xxx

      Delete
    3. I will let Mae know if I can.

      Delete
    4. I seem to have fixed the problem.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of your loss and ill health sherry. Hope things are now looking up for you and yours.Love that garden chook and also the freshly pressed oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks muchly Francesca. things are looking up now after an awful June but July will be much better I'm sure:) Thanks for joining in.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherry, sorry for you loss and am sure this is a difficult time for you and your family. We would have understood if you had not wanted to host this months IMK... but thank you for hosting.
    Pear and plum chutney sounds delicious and I am sure there are homely and hearty recipes to be found in that old farmhouse cookbook. Best wishes Sherry and hope next month will be a brighter one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your kind words Moya. Yes we are hoping that july is a much better month for us! cheers!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the illness and death in the family Sherry! That's no good at all. Hope you are ok.

    You have some lovely things in your kitchen this month. I added mine today :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lorraine. hubby and I are doing okay, tho both still a bit sick. We will take a while to get over his mum's death but it has been a long time coming in some ways so was a relief too. Her quality of life was not good towards the end. thanks for dropping by. xx

      Delete
  5. Hello Sherry, once again, please accept my sincerest sympathies. And do hope good health has returned! Lovely things on show as always. We're still in Budapest, so not sure if I will do an IMK post this month (first time in years!). Happy July xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Liz
      it looks like you are having a fab time in Hungary. lucky thing. we loved budapest when we were there years ago. so interesting and beautiful. have fun. come home safe. x

      Delete
  6. "Snap!" We both have roosters in our kitchens. There's nothing yummier than homemade chutney. Sorry to hear about your Mum Sherry. Death of a loved comes as a blow no matter how well prepared you think you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sandra. It's hard isn't it? It's a relief but also very painful when someone has lingered for so long so miserably then passes quite quickly. Seems surreal.

      Delete
  7. Yum, I just adore chutney, and plum and pear sounds like a super combination. I am also very taken with your rooster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cakelaw! It is a nice chutney I must say. (Smiling deprecatingly). :)

      Delete
  8. I'm really sorry to hear that Sherry, we are also dealing with a terminal illness in our family. At least blogging is positive and adds lightness to heavy times x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the blogging community is kind and it does lift the spirits.

      Delete
  9. I love home made chutney - and the colour of that rooster and the flowers - happy birthday - and sorry to hear things are not all great in your kitchen - thanks for continuing to host IMK - my post is on the linky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna
      Thanks so much and thanks for joining in IMK! Cheers.

      Delete
  10. The rooster is rather handsome. I am very sorry to learn that June has been a very difficult month, I do hope July is kinder for you and those around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shaheen. It was tough but July is ok so far:). Thanks for joining in.

      Delete
  11. So sorry for your loss! THe chutney sounds great and I love the look of that cook book. I am adding my link, which I hope you don't mind, even though it is not an IMK post. I have linked my post to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay thanks Tandy. As you are such a regular, I will happily have your post here:=).
      cheers
      sherry

      Delete
  12. Thank you for hosting, Sherry.... having recently lost my Mom, I hear you loud and clear... not easy at all

    I have not participated for 3 months, and honestly missed the change from Lizzy to you as hostess... sorry about that!

    I added my link a few minutes ago... again, thanks for hosting under such tough times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sally for joining in with IMK this month. Nice to have you here:). Sorry about your mum.

      Delete
  13. Sorry about the death of your mom and the health issues. Hope you are recovering your strength. My mom passes away 4 years ago and I miss her every day. Wonderful post though, I have chutney and chicken envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes thanks Liz. hubby and I are both much better now. It is very hard when loved ones die. I often think of something I want to ask my dad but he has been dead for many years...

      Delete
  14. I hope next month is better for you x. Here is my post https://napolirestaurantalert.wordpress.com/2017/07/08/in-my-kitchen-july-2017/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thanks for joining in too. Cheers!

      Delete
  15. Lots for lovely things in your kitchen! I love the morning coffee mug, beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for joining in this month. Lovely to have you here!

      Delete
  16. Well of course, I want that tea towel don't I? Hope to re-join the blogging world in proper soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your family loss. It is devastating isn't it? Thanks so much for joining in this month. All the best.

      Delete
  17. Sorry to hear about the death in your family and ill health. Hopefully July will be a better month for you. The chutney sounds incredible, lucky friends to receive some. Your handmade pottery pieces are lovely. I hope you were able to enjoy your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen. It was a tough month but getting better. And thanks muchly for joining in this month. Cheers.

      Delete
  18. Dear Sherry, very sorry to hear about the ill-health and death in family. Time like this is about patience, and I wish you well and hope things will get easier. I love your chutney - especially how you label them. And nothing beat fresh homegrown fruit. Beautiful pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Aida. Nice to have you here. Thanks for joining in. And thanks for your kind comments. Cheers sherry

      Delete
  19. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Sherry. I hope the rest of the month is better for you. I did love seeing the beautiful crockery featured in your kitchen and the chicken would help cheer anyone up, I think!

    I may have missed the cut off for joining as the link-up above seems to be closed, but will post my link here anyway :) http://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2017/07/in-my-kitchen-july-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Kari. this month is better for sure. yes i love my tin chicken. so cute. I have extended the linkup end date so i will add your link manually. Thanks heaps for joining in. cheers x

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.