Tuesday 23 May 2017

Pecan Liqueur - The Sequel

Well, the fascinating, nutty brew has now been double-filtered and bottled.  And it now sits in my fridge, saying "drink me, drink me," just like the potion in Alice in Wonderland. All right, you found me out: I heeded its siren song, and had a sip or 2 over ice.  Mm, mm, rather nice. Strangely, both myself and Mr P. said "it tastes like coffee," even though there is no coffee involved.  

It has been such fun watching it get thicker and darker each day.   By the end of the fortnight, the pecans have swollen and sunk down, and you have an incredibly dark brown, syrupy mixture, ripe for bottling.  So grab your super-clean Chux (cleaning cloth), and let's start filtering.    




ready for filtering


First you grab a medium-sized bowl, and place a large strainer over it.  Then place a scrupulously clean Chux cloth over the strainer.




bowl and strainer in place  




Chux cloth over the strainer 




you can see the speckly vanilla seeds around the edge of the jar  




pouring the mixture into the cloth 



squeeze out all the liquid from the nuts 



you will end up with a bowl of luscious liqueur 



and a heap of vodka-infused pecans 


Once you have poured the mixture into the cloth, you will squeeze and squeeze till all the liquid has come through.  Replace the cloth with another clean cloth, and pour the liquid through again.  Then you are left with the lovely stuff in your bowl, and the vodka-infused pecans in the original cloth.  Now pour the liqueur into bottles and store in the fridge. Keep the nuts in a container in the fridge too; I figure they will go well on ice-cream.




bottling the filtered liquid




ready for the fridge


Notes:

I used 2 brand-new Chux cloths for this.  I rinsed and dried them before use.  You can then wash them out and re-use the cloths, or do as I did (since they were a generic brand) - chuck 'em away. 

(Check out my original post for the recipe here).




my "drink me" potion doodle

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I love how it's looking...even the way it looks in the jar before filtering. Why am I thinking this would taste good poured over ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are very right Jem. Great on ice cream I bet.

      Delete
  2. How divine!! And yes to the nuts over ice cream-no waste, just taste! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely lorraine! they are sitting in the fridge waiting....

      Delete
  3. It looks very syrupy. A suggestion - I love Amaretto liqueur and enjoy it as an after dinner sweet treat but then I was introduced to a cocktail where the sweet nutty Amaretto was topped with a dash of soda water and a measure of lime juice. Surprisingly good. Perhaps it will work with this liqueur too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. I believe they suggest drinking frangelico that way too.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.