Sunday 5 March 2017

In My Kitchen - March 2017

Yay!  It's finally Autumn; happy days.  It may even have rained a few drops overnight. Sooo looking forward to some cooler days after weeks (months?) of endless sunshine and heat.  Nope, no global warming here (sarcasm; sorry the symbol is too hard-teehee. I mean really - have you heard of the percontation point?).




another retro cookbook from my niece at Xmas 


These old-timey-wimey (Dr. Who anyone?)  cookbooks are the bomb!  Full of great hints, and lots of handy info plus great retro recipes.  Love 'em!



further proof of my addiction to smoked salt :=)


I love love love smoked salt!  It makes me think of bonfires and cold, sharp Winter days, and childhood.  I grew up in some darn cold mountains, unlike my present life in sunny, humid Queensland.  So it's nice to be reminded of them.  And this company is based in the Northern Rivers area of NSW - my fave place!



local Scenic Rim olive oi; and mugs from our mate Brooke  

Mr P. and I headed to the Scenic Rim recently for a country drive and stopped to have a cool drink at Poppi's.  They had some local olive oil on the shelves, which I had to buy. Very grassy and spicy; quite delicious.  We also visited our mate Brooke at the Red Door Studio last month, and grabbed another couple of her lovely mugs. These are from the Ocean Shores range.



a gift from our Tassie mate 

Our mate The Piano Teacher gave us this wee gift on her recent trip up from the depths of Tasmania.  Thanks Miss TPT!



and thanks to our mates Lord N and Lady J for these 


Lord N and Lady J came by with gifts in hand.  A huge bunch of fresh herbs from their garden (sorry, forgot the photo), and these: a huge bag of cinnamon and these lovely pieces of cinnamon or maybe cassia? bark.  Looks like they are straight off the tree:=) And I mean that in a good way. 




gorgeous visiting niece with sweet Josie 


The niece came along one night for dinner (almost in our kitchen), bringing the sweet Josie with her.  Josie adored hubby on sight and was desperate to reach him.  Naughty gal jumped onto the table to get to his lap.  (the dog not the niece).



food? food?  what about me?


And last but not least, we have a magpie outside the kitchen.  Mr/s. Magpie comes along each afternoon begging for food.  S/he likes fresh meat, as do all the other birds around the place.  Even the ones I thought only ate seeds.  S/he does a little song as payment.


Join in with Liz from Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things in the monthly wander through some global kitchens.  You will always find something new and interesting, I promise.



20 comments:

  1. I love old cookbooks like those! I have some of my mum's women's weekly cookbooks...so old school, I love it! Totally understand smoked salt addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's so cute about Josie and the magpie doing a dance for their supper!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet there's wibbly wobbly jelly recipes in that cracker of an old cookbook! Loving the magpie, too cute. Thank you for the very kind shout out, Sherry, and happy cooking March xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully it will cool down this month Liz and baking will be more realistic.:)

      Delete
  4. Love those mugs from Red Door Studio. Will have to check that out next time we're at the Scenic Rim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have a magpie at your window, that pottery is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love feeding the birds! and yep love the pottery.

      Delete
  6. Today is the first day I've actually thought autumn is on the way to Brissy. I love Aussie magpies Sherry, their warble is wonderful. That bark, whether cinnamon or cassia looks like it's loaded with flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had a blanket on the bed last night! Yippee! yep love maggies and cinnamon bark- not together:)

      Delete
  7. Can't wait for winter week when it's makes it's way to North Queensland! Bit over this summer heat! That cinnamon bark looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Marcella. I am so over summer!

      Delete
  8. Autumn is my favourite season. I do like those mugs, I like handmade stuff. Your magpies are very different to those we have in the UK. Cheeky little things, but I do like that this one entertains as payment for it feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the birds we have around here shaheen. They are so enlivening. Yay a coolish morning here.

      Delete
  9. I love the retro cookbook! Also the cinnamon / casia bark, and the animal presence. I always rejoiced at autumn in Australia too - enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting slightly cooler Kari thank goodness. Hopefully when we go to Canberra next week it will be lots cooler.

      Delete
  10. Sherry, your excitement and delight with Autumn played throughout your post -- fun to read (your captions,too) and a colorful array of IMK goodies. Made me smile! Glad it's cooling down for you. We're just about to heat up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim
      Yes getting excited about Autumn 🍂 now. It has been a long hot and dry summer here. We need rain!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.