Tuesday 11 August 2015

Grandma Margaret's Scones

Last week we had dinner with our old (make that longtime) friend Miss PP i.e. Pam the Poet.  She is an avid bushwalker, and had recently been down to icy cold Hobart, enjoying a walk in the snow on Mount Wellington.  And this was prior to the big snowfall they had last week, where it snowed on Hobart itself, which is very unusual as it doesn't often fall below 400 metres.


Ice House Track Mt. Wellington July 2015 (courtesy Pam S.)  


We were discussing scones, as you do, and she mentioned her grandma's scones.  I have been checking out various scone recipes this week, trying to find an interesting one for International Scone Week.  I have come across some really odd ones which I will share in a later post but for now, I have made this one which does not involve the usual method of rubbing butter into flour, but adds flour and milk to the buttery, sugary, egg mixture.   I have never seen a scone recipe using eggs before, so this was a first for me.  Miss PP suggests thinking of her grandma making these on a wood stove in the '30s, bringing them along on a picnic in the family's Nash.


a bit like this one! :=)  (image: wikimedia)  


So here we have grandma Margaret's woodfire-baked scones for your delectation!

ingredients:

2 big tbs butter, softened
2 tbs sugar  (I used caster)
1 egg
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda (bi-carb soda)
(you are basically adding 1 tsp cream of tartar and 1/2 tsp baking soda to each cup of flour)
1/2 cup milk


Method:

Mix the butter, sugar and egg together well in a medium bowl
Sift the flour, cream of tartar and bicarb into a separate bowl
Add 1/3 of the flour mix to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk till all incorporated
Mix gently till you get a soft dough (a knife or spatula is good for this)
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly
Pat into an oval-type shape about 30cm x 20cm
Cut out triangles or rounds
Place them on a greased baking tray, crowding them together
Bake for 10 mins @ 230C till golden and risen
Eat with lashings of strawberry or raspberry jam and whipped cream.



ingredients 

mixing the butter, sugar and egg together well  

sifting the flour, cream of tartar and bicarb into a small bowl 

add 1/3 of the flour mix, alternating with the milk   

tipping in the rest of the flour mix     

stirring in the last of the milk    

it looks quite dry at this point   

patting out the dough on a floured surface      

cutting out shapes   

placing the scones on a greased tray    

ready for 10 mins baking in a 230C oven 

all done!

devour with (butter!), jam and cream and a cuppa  


Mr P. and Lackey 2 (one of Mr P.'s staff), decided they would taste-test for me.  The verdict was "you can experiment on me anytime" from Lackey 2, and "tasty" from Mr P.  I smothered mine in butter and cream and jam!  Oh yes I did. Very tasty; a bit cake-like and a teensy bit sweet from the sugar but overall quite delicious.  They are a little different in texture to what we would normally think of as scones; they didn't rise as much, and were slightly denser than normal.  I found it fascinating to try this new (to me) method, and was very pleased at how well they turned out.  Thanks Miss PP!



my strawb doodle - for the jam, silly!



Miss PPs shot of berries in the snow  


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I also love looking for unusual ones to make each year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tandy
      yes it is great fun hunting up all the unusual recipes. who knew there were so many ways to make a scone? :)

      Delete
  2. Another new scone method for me. Seems international scone week is becoming even more educational! I also like how you cut your scones, I haven't seen that way before. I usually do all wedges or use a cutter. Nice to see wedges and squares from the same round, why hadn't I thought of that before?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi gretchen
      isn't it interesting how many different ways there are to make the same thing? very educational. it was a bit of an accident really how i cut them. I meant to do all triangles:)

      Delete
  3. I'm terrible in general at scones - I don't have the light touch. Maybe these would be better for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is an odd little recipe; gives a more cake like consistency but still tasty.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sherry, your scones look amazing, love how you cut-up them up, the texture looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks cheri! they were tasty, just a bit more cake like than normal due to the egg and sugar.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry. They are different. It is always good to try a new technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is fascinating isn't it? i had never heard of using eggs before or this method. it was fun!

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking scones and slightly different recipe to what I've seen before. I love the way you've cut them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi amanda
      yes this recipe was a new one to me too. very interesting method. i had fun cutting them up into different shapes. like being a kid again.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful recipe make with love! It's very unique and I could devour one right now!
    Glad we are connected through our love of scones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi joanne
      glad to have you here! scones are so easy and give such delight, don't they?

      Delete
  8. What an interesting recipe Sheri. I too don't associate eggs with scones! Lovely pattern, and lovely colour on your scones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a new way to do scones - it's amazing how many different spins there are on this so called classic!!! I do love the pattern you cut but as you know from my scone recipe, I'd be disowned if I cut my scones!!! Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jan
      Yes these were unusual in several ways. It was fun cutting them rather than using a round cutter.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.